Saturday 7 January 2012

Olympic Tickets - Dodged a Bullet

Some time ago, in the first round of Olympics tickets, I bid for them. Now, I have some serious problems with the Olympics, but not with the sport itself.

So, I bid for 3 tickets, for me and the kids to see some qualifying rounds and the decathlon (my views of the decathlon belong in another post). It wasn't too pricey as there were special prices for kids. Unfortunately, I didn't get them.

But as it happens, I recently found out how long it was going to take me to get into the Olympic stadium by checking the Spectator Journey Planner on the 2012 London website. For an arrival at the stadium at say 9:00 for a 10:00 start, we'd have to leave our station in Wiltshire at 04:30, a total journey time of nearly 4 hours, or to be up at about 3 in the morning. Would I have liked to take my 2 kids to do that? Uh... no. Think we'll go and have a day doing something else.

The real problem here is that the time it's going to take to get into the stadium seems to be estimated at about an hour and a half, as it's normally a 40 minute journey from Paddington to Stratford and they're estimating 2 hours for Olympic trips. And if you want to know why, here's the London 2012 guide to travel:-
There will be airport style security at venues so please arrive in good time for your event.
Oh... joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment