- We will implement a full programme of measures to reverse the substantial erosion of civil liberties and roll back state intrusion.
I'm going to give this a qualified "good". I suspect they'll only roll back Labour's stuff, not things like the Video Recordings Act or various terrible bills under Thatcher and Major.
- We will introduce a Freedom Bill.
and? Why not just call it the Coco the Clown Bill. Blah.
- We will scrap the ID card scheme, the National Identity register and the ContactPoint database, and halt the next generation of biometric passports.
- We will outlaw the finger-printing of children at school without parental permission.
- We will extend the scope of the Freedom of Information Act to provide greater transparency.
- We will adopt the protections of the Scottish model for the DNA database.
- We will protect historic freedoms through the defence of trial by jury.
For every case? Please do.
- We will restore rights to non-violent protest.
- We will review libel laws to protect freedom of speech.
- We will introduce safeguards against the misuse of anti-terrorism legislation.
- We will further regulate CCTV.
Probably needs it.
- We will end the storage of internet and email records without good reason.
- We will introduce a new mechanism to prevent the proliferation of unnecessary new criminal offences.
A bit blah because a subsequent government can come in and just change it.
- We will establish a Commission to investigate the creation of a British Bill of Rights that incorporates and builds on all our obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights, ensures that these rights continue to be enshrined in British law, and protects and extends British liberties. We will seek to promote a better understanding of the true scope of these obligations and liberties.